Summary Of This Week’s Influences/All Times Listed Are Eastern Standard Time (EST)
The Sun moves into Aquarius Monday. From now until February 18 people tend to identify more with humanitarian and progressive causes. The desire for independent expression is strong. The Sun conjoining Mercury retrograde Tuesday emphasizes inventive thinking that provides new solutions to old problems. Personal expectations and optimism run high as the Sun conjoins Jupiter in Aquarius Friday/Saturday. The energies of Venus opposing Saturn Saturday can help to stay within budget.
The Treasury finalized the terms of its November 23, 2008 rescue package for Citigroup (C) Friday, as Citi announced it is restructuring the banking behemoth into two entities. Citigroup will hold the good stuff, and Citi Holdings will contain what’s for sale/waiting for the next turnaround (management seems to be extremely patient). I had written that the December 12, 2008 Full Moon would probably bring back financial issues relating to the September 15, 2008 Full Moon when Lehman collapsed. At the time, markets were focused on an automaker bailout. Mercury retrograde tends to bring out issues from the past, and Bank of America revealed Friday that it had approached the government in mid-December about breaking its deal to buy Merrill Lynch. CEO Ken Lewis and the Treasury kept it a secret for a month that the government was taking an additional stake in Bank of America to force the acquisition.
Speaking of the Big Three, the Treasury Friday extended $1.5 billion in five year loans so private equity Chrysler Financial can offer auto loans with 0% financing for up to 60 months for buyers with credit scores as low as 620. Chrysler Financial lobbied for TARP, telling Treasury it wasn’t fair that the government gave $6 billion to GMAC, GM’s lending arm. Now the Treasury has confirmed it’s talking with Ford Motor Credit who has also sought aid. For all the talk about the need to save energy and build fuel efficient vehicles, the government is in essence subsidizing the sale of Detroit’s gas guzzling SUVs and large trucks.
As reflected by the approaching planetary lineup of the Sun/Mercury retrograde/Jupiter, Obama and the Democrats unveiled their ever expanding pushing towards $1 trillion economic stimulus package that if you look at the pie chart, shows that the bulk of the money will be spent saving government jobs and pumping up state and local governments as political payback. As I’ve written, the stimulus reverses the call for change back to the status quo.
In last week’s Forecast I thought there might be weekend dealmaking taking place January 17/18. This view was shared in the January 15 Short View column/video by the FT’s John Authers. However, I had envisioned the action taking place on this side of the pond.
This Week markets appear to be pushing to exhibit a positive trend bias. However, between the vacillation of Mercury retrograde along with the push/pull of Saturn (fear/caution) opposing Uranus (breakouts/unexpected moves), markets could just as easily go on a rollercoaster ride in the opposite direction. Volatility and bigger market moves are likely to increase towards the end of the week.
Monday, January 19, 2009
- General Influences: The Scorpio Moon harmonizing with Venus in Pisces this morning can bring profound emotional understanding in intimate relationships. Favorable aspects between the Moon and Mars later this morning is a good time to work with tools and do minor repairs. Lost/missing items or information might unexpectedly turn up this afternoon. Scorpio Moon becomes VOC* at 10:37 PM until tomorrow afternoon.
- Stockmarket: Closed in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
- General Influences: Barack Obama is inaugurated as the 44th President of the US at Noon. Jovial spirits and optimism abounds when the Moon enters Jupiter-ruled Sagittarius at 12:30 PM and forms favorable aspects to Mercury, the Sun, and Jupiter.
- Stockmarket: Choppy/mixed; positive trend bias.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Thursday, January 22, 2009
- General Influences: The Moon challenging Uranus and Saturn early this morning could create travel or schedule disruptions/delays. Sagittarius Moon becomes VOC at 11:24 AM for the rest of the day. A favorable alignment between Mars and Uranus emphasizes innovation and the opportunity to complete the missing component on a prototype idea or invention by getting inspired and building upon previously discounted ideas. People tend to be attracted to what’s new and unique as Venus conjoins Uranus this evening. New romantic relationships could begin; these energies add a spark of excitement to existing ones.
- Stockmarket: Negative trend bias, but could have a brief upside surprise and then turn negative as volatility increases.
Friday, January 23, 2009
- General Influences: The Moon enters Capricorn at 1:18 AM. With the Moon in Saturn’s sign today and Saturday (Saturn’s Day), the high vitality of the Sun conjoining Jupiter, and Mars harmonizing with Saturn, work progresses well.
- Stockmarket: The approaching influence of the Sun conjoining Jupiter is likely to create larger market moves that could create technical breakouts. Although this alignment is a generally bullish energy, occurring in Uranus-ruled Aquarius it can just as easily take an unexpected shock to the downside. Sun/Jupiter represents inflated expectations that can quickly turn to panic and hysteria when reality sets in. And with the Moon in Saturn-ruled Capricorn today and Venus approaching an opposition to Saturn early tomorrow morning, a reality check is just as possible as a bull run.
Weekend: January 24-25, 2009
- Saturday: Venus opposing Saturn could bring friction in an intimate relationship if a partner feels work is consuming all the attention. Venus favorably aspecting Mars can smooth things over as the Moon favorably aspecting Venus this evening offers a time for togetherness.
Sunday: Capricorn Moon becomes VOC at 4:08 AM. After the Moon enters Aquarius at 1:56 PM, getting together with friends or participating in community or group activities can be particularly enjoyable.
*VOC (Void-of-Course) = When the Moon (our emotional barometer) ceases to have any major interactions with the other planets before entering a new zodiacal sign. This time period is best suited for anything where NO ACTION OR SPECIFIC OUTCOME is desired, as actions taken during the VOC period might not turn out as planned.