Summary Of This Week’s Influences/All Times Listed Are Eastern Standard Time (EST)
- General Influences: As mentioned in last week’s Forecast and the New Moon cycle, the Gemini Full Moon was closer to Earth than normal and in an a challenging alignment with Mars, Saturn, and Uranus. These energies elevated the potential for severe weather conditions that could cause travel problems and power outages. The Northeast and especially New England were cited as a consistent “Hotspot” in my New Moon cycle, and were affected Friday by a severe ice storm that knocked out power to over 1.25 million homes and businesses. Many customers might not get power restored until the end of the week. The planetary alignment of Saturn in Virgo opposing Uranus in Pisces as well as Pluto in Capricorn emphasize that upgrading the nation’s power grids as part of fixing the USA’s long neglected infrastructure must be tackled now before it gets any worse. Thankfully it appears that President-Elect Obama understands this.
Mars in Sagittarius is active early this week. Saturn in Virgo could put the brakes on Mars’s enthusiasm Monday. Frustrations might arise over travel delays or shipping/receiving supplies. With patience, this can be a good time to do work that demands precision and exacting specifications. Tuesday Mars hooks up with Neptune in Aquarius, which can help to get any “stuck” energy flowing again.
Wednesday could be the most productive energy of the week with the Moon in efficient Virgo harmonizing with Mercury in Capricorn. Business communications are favored, and it’s a good time to get organized and tie up odds ‘n ends before year end.
Socializing, shopping, and beautification/decorating are favored Saturday afternoon and evening with the Moon in Libra.
Winter in the northern hemisphere begins Sunday morning when the Sun enters Capricorn. It’s a good time to focus on personal transformation. (I’ll be writing a post about the Winter Solstice this week.)
- Stockmarket: On Friday the stock market was ready to go down like the power lines in New England. What could have been a very bearish day was alleviated by the announcement twenty minutes before the market opened that the White House is “prepared to do something” to help the US automaker(s). But the market should have already been comforted about that since the FT’s Lex column stated last Wednesday that “The political sun, moon and stars appear aligned for granting federal aid to General Motors and Chrysler this week after what seemed like deadlock.”:-) I had written that last Friday was likely to “be interspersed with sharp bullish moves intraday” because of the wild nature of Uranus and the usually favorable market influence of the Sun challenging Saturn.
Speaking of the wild and crazy nature of Uranus, Jim Cramer announced on his show Friday night that “the market is bullish because there’s no one left to sell.” Hmm. What happened to all those hedge fund liquidations? Now that former NASDAQ Board Chairman and member of several committees of the National Association of Securities Dealers, Bernard L. Madoff has been charged with a ponzi scheme that leveraged $17 billion into more than $50 billion, it seems doubtful that the level of anxiety has subsided. Gemini is symbolized by the twins, and last week’s Full Moon saw two people in positions of authority (Madoff and Illinois Gov. Blagojevich), shatter the public’s and investors’ trust (Jupiter in Capricorn). Mercury conjoined Pluto in Capricorn last week, revealing the secret modus operandi of these two individuals. Madoff’s case reflects the secrecy and exclusivity about his investments that was required to keep his scheme going. Capricorn represents reputation, status and exclusivity that only certain people could invest with Madoff. Many of his clients were members of the Palm Beach Country Club. The world will likely witness many authority figures fall from the mountaintop during the transit of Pluto in Capricorn (2008-2024).
Two new banks report this week: Goldman Sachs (GS) on Tuesday and Morgan Stanley (MS) on Wednesday. Morgan Stanley’s report is likely to be much bleaker than Goldman’s, although no one is expecting Goldman's to be golden.
The Federal Reserve announces their decision on interest rates Tuesday at 2:15 PM. As stated in the Mars post, I think the Fed is likely to lower rates but I hope I’m wrong. I don’t care what the CPI is Tuesday morning; inflation exists now and is likely to go into hyper drive next year when Jupiter conjoins Neptune which conjoins the USA Moon! That’s when the Treasury bubble is likely to burst.
OPEC meets in Algeria Wednesday to approve a 2 million b/d production cut. Friday is quadruple options expiration which might be the most bullish day of the week.
Monday, December 15, 2008
- General Influences: The day begins with the Cancer Moon VOC.* Leo Moon takes the lead at 1:22 AM. However, the Moon is likely to get upstaged today by all the activity surrounding Mars and Saturn. These energies can be frustrating and test people’s patience. Flexibility is key. It can be particularly helpful today to take brief breaks to stretch and move around to keep muscles (Mars) and joints (Saturn) flexible. The Moon opposing Venus in Aquarius later this afternoon could make it more difficult to reach agreement.
- Stockmarket: Mars challenging Saturn is likely to cast a bearish bias.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
- General Influences: Mars favorably hooks up with Neptune, offering an opportunity to act on your ideals/vision. However, the Moon opposing Neptune feels more inclined to daydream and fantasize. Harmonious alignments between the Moon and Mars this afternoon could increase motivation. Tonight’s energies favor fun and partying as the Leo Moon harmonizes with the Sagittarius Sun. Leo Moon becomes VOC at 7:45 PM.
- Stockmarket: Choppy/mixed; negative trend bias. Might see a brief upswing in the afternoon. The FOMC statement could be confusing and initially misinterpreted.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
- General Influences: The Moon enters Virgo at 3:36 AM. Efficiency is the mantra today and tomorrow. The Moon harmonizing with Mercury in Capricorn early this evening favors business communications along with finalizing holiday plans.
- Stockmarket: Choppy/mixed; negative trend bias.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
- General Influences: A surprise or unexpected event could disrupt today’s schedule as the Moon opposes Uranus early this afternoon. Or people could just feel restless and need to do or eat something different for lunch to break from the same old routine. The Moon conjoins Saturn early this evening. Work obligations might delay personal plans this evening, or people could feel worried. Be careful driving this evening as people could tend to be irritable and impatient with the Moon challenging Mars. Refrain from being critical and nitpicky; give others some space and understanding tonight.
- Stockmarket: Choppy; likely to swing in either or both directions.
Friday, December 19, 2008
- General Influences: Virgo Moon becomes VOC at 5:29 AM. Attend to routine matters until the Moon enters Libra at 9:23 AM. Reaching consensus might be difficult with the Moon challenging Pluto later this morning, as everyone involved wants to be in control. Meetings and social interactions are easier in the afternoon.
- Stockmarket: Positive bias.
Weekend: December 20-21, 2008
*VOC (Void-of-Course) = When the Moon (our emotional barometer) ceases to have any major interactions with the other planets before entering a new zodiacal sign. This time period is best suited for anything where NO ACTION OR SPECIFIC OUTCOME is desired, as actions taken during the VOC period might not turn out as planned.