Summary of This Week’s Influences/All times listed are Eastern Standard Time (EST)
- General Influences: Major energy shifts occur this week that all fit perfectly together as Pluto moves into Capricorn, Uranus in Pisces moves direct, and both of these shifts occur at the November 27 Sagittarius New Moon.
Pluto, the planetary energy of transformation, takes up permanent residence in Capricorn Wednesday evening until 2024. (The world took a test drive of Pluto in Capricorn from January 25 to June 13, 2008.) Since 1995 Pluto has been in Jupiter-ruled Sagittarius which encouraged economic and physical excess and policies based upon extreme ideological and religious beliefs. Pluto in earth element Capricorn requires that economic, government and physical structures are built upon a solid and secure foundation. The instant gratification era of Pluto in Sagittarius is ending as Pluto in Capricorn is an “as you sow, so shall you reap” energy since Capricorn and its ruler Saturn represent karma (the universal law of cause and effect). The status quo/“business as usual” attitude that strives to recreate the past will not survive Pluto in Capricorn.
“Expect the unexpected” could be this week’s credo as Uranus, the planetary energy of shocks and surprises, is stationary November 25-30, turning direct on November 27. Planets do not really change direction, but appear to from Earth’s vantage point, and when a planet appears stationary symbolically it means that its influences are more pronounced. Uranus went retrograde June 26. Uranus in Pisces (2003-2011) is a jolting wake up call to rouse the world from its slumber of engaging in all types of addictive behaviors in an effort to “escape” from what’s going on in the world. The message of Pluto moving into Capricorn as Uranus turns direct is to be responsible for your life by investing the time and effort to pursue your personal vision and not get sidetracked by what other people, society and media messages attempt to “should upon” you. Times are challenging, but challenges provide opportunities. Uranus in Pisces is making these series of oppositions to status quo Saturn through mid-2010 to get everyone to break out of their box because meaningful change begins at the individual level.
When Uranus is prominent, there’s a greater tendency for people to act more independent to the point of rebelliousness if they perceive their freedom is being curtailed. Unconventional and inventive ideas are in. There is a greater potential for earthquakes and “freaky” weather conditions. Be sure to fully charge and have battery backups for all electronic devices (Uranus rules electricity).
These planetary shifts represent a new beginning, which is also represented by the Sagittarius New Moon occurring on Thanksgiving Day. With Uranus direct and the Sun, Moon, Mercury, and Mars lined up in blunt Sagittarius, Thanksgiving gatherings should be lively to say the least! It’s all systems go as all of the planets are moving forward now until December 31.
Note that the Moon is VOC* Wednesday after 7:33 AM.
- Stockmarket: As I wrote in last week’s Forecast, financial markets certainly did continue to make big and volatile moves as we got closer to Friday. Thursday we “broke on through to the other side” as the Dow closed at a 5.5 year low (7,552.29) and the S&P closed at 752.44, a level last seen in April 1997. The volatility index (VIX) hit a record intraday high and closing high of 80.86 going into Friday’s options expiration. The indices were choppy and swinging from positive to negative until 2:59 PM when media outlets announced that President-Elect Obama plans to nominate New York Federal Reserve Bank president Timothy Geithner to be Treasury Secretary. Indices went from negative to full bull mode, propelling the Dow up almost 500 points and back over 8,000 to close at 8,046.42. (Look for an upcoming post on Geithner. I have a short description of Geithner in my 4/4/08 post, “Fire at Fed and Treasury Burns Down Bear Stearns”.)
For the most part, markets are in panic mode since Treasury Secretary Paulson announced the TARP will not accept troubled assets and he’s finished dispensing what’s left of the $350 billion.
The market is trying to put Citigroup (C) to sleep, despite Paulson’s $25 billion capital injection.
To quote the Fed, barring “unusual and exigent circumstances,” blog post topics I’ll be writing about this week are: Sagittarius New Moon Cycle, Timothy Geithner, Lawrence Summers, Detroit automakers, and what I call “The Deflation Deception.”
Monday, November 24, 2008
- General Influences: Collaborations with others, meetings, and social interactions fare better before 12:45 PM while the Moon is in fair-minded Libra. The Moon is VOC between 12:45 and 12:54 PM when it enters Scorpio. The emotional atmosphere could become more moody and intense now.
- Stockmarket: Negative to choppy/mixed. Could see improving conditions in afternoon.
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
- General Influences: Even if we’re not physically traveling today, the Sun conjoining Mercury in Sagittarius can embark on a mental journey where no thought or destination is too far out. Some people (as well as media reports) might be more prone to exaggeration and hype. Let the Scorpio Moon assist you in fine tuning your b.s. detector. People tend to be in a more relaxed and mellow mood this evening.
- Stockmarket: The Sun conjoining Mercury can make exaggerated market moves in either direction, but the trend could be more negative over concerns for slower than projected economic growth.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
- General Influences: Anything that requires action needs to be accomplished before the Moon becomes VOC at 7:33 AM until early tomorrow. Today is good for accomplishing odds ‘n ends and catching up on routine matters before the holiday. The Moon VOC in Scorpio can be a good time to houseclean and decide what items need to move on. Scorpio’s ruler Pluto shifts gears into Capricorn this evening.
- Stockmarket: Positive trend bias. Bond market closes at 2:00 PM.
Here’s a quote from Albert Edwards of SocGen that describes Pluto in the physically cold sign of Capricorn (as well as the Saturn/Uranus opposition): “We’re in an ice age where many of the old investing formulas don’t hold.”
Thursday, November 27, 2008
- General Influences: Uranus moves direct less than an hour before the Sagittarius New Moon occurs at 11:54 AM. The Moon conjoins Mercury and Mars this afternoon, providing the tendency for people to be highly emotional and assertive with their opinions! It’s especially important to eat and drink slowly and only if you feel calm and relaxed. Favorable energies between Venus and Uranus this evening/tomorrow could start up a new romantic relationship or add some sparks of excitement to established ones.
Happy Thanksgiving Day to Wall Street Weather readers! I’m thankful that you enjoy reading what I enjoy writing! :-)
- Stockmarket: Closed for holiday.
Friday, November 28, 2008
- General Influences: The Moon challenging Uranus and then Saturn this afternoon into early evening could create travel delays and obstacles, and Mercury conjoining Mars tends to bring out impatience and irritability when people cannot do what they want when they want. Think before acting impulsively, drive carefully and stay within speed limits. Sagittarius Moon becomes VOC at 7:54 PM.
- Stockmarket: Barron’s notes that the Dow has been up 13 out of the past 20 post-Thanksgiving trading sessions. This is an abbreviated session as the stock market closes at 1:00 PM and the Bond market closes at 2:00 PM. While the planetary aspects do favor a more positive trend, there is a bearish transit to the NYSE chart today, so it could end up swinging back and forth in either direction. These abbreviated sessions are tricky because it’s so easy for one large player’s trade to move the market.
The Venus/Uranus aspect emphasizes small electronic devices and related accessories generating the biggest Black Friday sales. With four planets in Sagittarius, a lot of people will be out and about, but it should not be viewed as a sign that retail sales are on the rebound. With Mercury conjoining Mars today, many shoppers could be snatching up items today that they will return after they see it at a lower price. (I'm calling this “Shopper Arbitrage”.)
Weekend: November 29-30, 2008
- Saturday: Today it’s relax first, then attend to business and other must-do tasks, as the Moon is VOC until entering Capricorn at 12:48 PM. Venus harmonizes with Saturn, favoring new business alliances. This planetary alignment reinforces that consumers are shopping for classic, quality merchandise that is heavily discounted.
- Sunday: People are likely to feel more optimistic, professionally ambitious, and generous as the day progresses as Venus conjoins Jupiter in Capricorn early Monday morning.
*VOC (Void-of-Course) = When the Moon (our emotional barometer) ceases to have any major interactions with the other planets before entering a new zodiacal sign. This time period is best suited for anything where NO ACTION OR SPECIFIC OUTCOME is desired, as actions taken during the VOC period might not turn out as planned.