Summary of This Week’s Influences/All times listed are Eastern Standard Time (EST)
- General Influences: Generally this week appears to be a mellower week with the most planetary activity occurring on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The weekend emphasizes expanding your social horizons; enjoy! See each day’s entry for more info.
- Stockmarket: As described in last week’s Forecast, planetary alignments last week continued to support large point moves and high volatility in financial markets. To reiterate: “The opposition of Saturn in Virgo and Uranus in Pisces are the planetary energies behind the market’s rapid and sharp point movements. One day the market is fearful (Saturn) about the economic outlook, the next day the market is rejoicing that things could be worse with downturns viewed as buying opportunities (Uranus).” These movements have become exaggerated through program trading. It’s become far easier to make blanket short and long term projections (down with brief bear rallies) than daily movements.
China announced a $586 billion stimulus package last Monday under a Sun/Jupiter alignment. Keeping faithful to those planetary energies, the size of the expenditure was exaggerated as the amount included infrastructure projects that were already funded.
Treasury Secretary Paulson contributed to last week’s volatility after announcing last Wednesday that the TARP would not be used for its original purpose of buying distressed assets from financial institutions. Two days later we learned Paulson had scrapped the program before Congress even approved it! Friday’s market was “led by the news.” After being negative from glum October retail sales, the stock market briefly went positive Friday afternoon when Paulson appeared on CNBC defiantly unapologetic, only to make a big tumble into the close. Perhaps inspired by ‘50s B-movie “Plan 9 From Outer Space,” Paulson said he’s working on yet another plan.
Speaking of outer space, yesterday’s Wall Street Journal editorial (“Martian Triumph”) takes a cue from this blog by correlating earthy and planetary affairs in describing the success of the Phoenix Mars Lander which sent its last message to NASA on November 2, following a successful mission that confirmed not only the presence of water, but also soil capable of supporting life. Being the Journal Editorial Board, they had to use the opportunity to promote the Bush administration’s “free market” agenda and get a subtle swipe in against President-Elect Obama who they blamed in a Wednesday editorial for causing the stock market’s fall since Election Day, basically urging him to scrap his agenda and be a do-nothing president. CNBC commentator Larry Kudlow attributed Thursday’s afternoon bullish turnaround to President Bush’s speech on “The Surest Path Back to Prosperity” which yesterday’s Journal proudly reprinted. Bush said the lesson we must learn from the financial crisis is that “Our aim should not be more government – it should be smarter government.” To paraphrase an observation made a long time ago by President Clinton, The Wall Street Journal is a great newspaper if you ignore the editorial pages.
This Week’s market action will likely see a continuation of big, volatile moves – especially as we get closer to Friday. As we’ve already seen, these moves can be large in either or both directions. The Saturn/Uranus opposition described in several previous posts is creating the overall bearish influence from now through mid-2010. The Jupiter influence is also contributing to the big moves. Despite being known as the planetary energy of optimism and expansion, Jupiter can also exaggerate big in the opposite direction, especially since Jupiter is transiting Saturn-ruled overly pessimistic Capricorn this year this year and Saturn is in worrywart Virgo. Mars is now in Jupiter-ruled Sagittarius until December 27 which will also contribute to even more rapid periods of bullish buying and panic selling. My next post will be about Mars in Sagittarius as things are going to get extremely volatile worldwide and likely climax around the December 12 Full Moon (more on that in next week’s Sagittarius New Moon cycle).
Besides Options Expiration Friday, Jupiter in Capricorn trines Saturn in Virgo for the third and final time. The first occurrence was on January 21 in what became known as the “SocGen selloff”. The second pass was on September 8 when Paulson put the GSEs into conservatorship. Markets were bullishly up that day but fell sharply the next day.
Monday, November 17, 2008
- General Influences: The week begins as the Moon in Cancer harmonizes with the Scorpio Sun, creating a mellow mood and perhaps a feeling of reluctance to leave the cozy confines of home. Between the Moon being VOC* from 8:43 AM until 4:07 PM, and Mercury challenging Neptune, it’s easier to think about making important decisions and taking action tomorrow. However, the Mercury/Neptune alignment combined with the Moon in Leo after 4:07 PM, enhances creative self-expression or getting inspired through the arts, music, or watching a movie.
- Stockmarket: Choppy/mixed. Positive trend bias.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
- General Influences: The Moon in Leo emphasizes taking a cue from children by taking the time to play and be lighthearted so we can return to our work refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Stockmarket: Swings from negative to choppy/mixed.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
- General Influences: There can be a tendency to let the ego get in the way in communicating with others this morning. The Last Quarter Moon occurs at 4:31 PM. This is a good time to engage in leisure activities and spend time with someone special. Leo Moon becomes VOC at 7:47 PM. The party’s over once the Moon enters Virgo at 8:13 PM. It’s time to tidy up and get organized.
- Stockmarket: Negative to choppy conditions show improvement as day progresses.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
- General Influences: Try to save the work you don’t really enjoy doing for this afternoon, as the Moon harmonizing with Venus in Capricorn can help to make the most tedious work easier. This is also a good time to interact with superiors and current and potential clients, so it pays off to make an extra effort in your personal appearance.
- Stockmarket: Choppy and more volatile conditions as day progresses.
Friday, November 21, 2008
- General Influences: Early this morning could feel a bit off balance or get off to an unusual start. Jupiter trines Saturn for the third and final time in earth signs today (see Stockmarket Summary). These beneficial energies are enhanced this morning by the Virgo Moon’s energies which can help you organize and work on achieving goals in a methodical manner so it doesn’t seem overwhelming. The Jupiter/Saturn alignment emphasizes being realistically optimistic. The Sun enters Sagittarius this evening until December 21, helping to boost self-confidence through changing the way you view a situation.
- Stockmarket: Market volatile. Large moves in either or both directions, but tendency is more negative.
Weekend: November 22-23, 2008
- Saturday: Virgo Moon becomes VOC at 3:02 AM; Moon enters Libra at 3:20 AM. Pleasant aspects between the Libra Moon and the Sun and Mars in Sagittarius make this the favored day of the weekend for expanding your social horizons.
- Sunday: Mercury enters Sagittarius early this morning until December 21. This is a good time for learning and being an armchair traveler. The Libra Moon challenging Jupiter early this evening could make it hard to resist overindulging. The evening is a good time to socialize with friends, whether in person or in cyberspace.
*VOC (Void-of-Course) = When the Moon (our emotional barometer) ceases to have any major interactions with the other planets before entering a new zodiacal sign. This time period is best suited for anything where NO ACTION OR SPECIFIC OUTCOME is desired, as actions taken during the VOC period might not turn out as planned.