Summary of This Week’s Influences/All times listed are Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).
- General Influences:
Venus moves into intensely passionate Scorpio late Tuesday until October 18, a good time to work out any deep seated issues in intimate relationships, and for couples to review joint assets, insurance policies, wills and trusts.
Mercury in Libra turns retrograde early Wednesday until October 15. Planets do not really move backwards, but appear that way from Earth’s vantage point. Mercury rules all forms of communication, communication devices, and movement. Mercury retrograde in Libra emphasizes how we communicate with others, particularly with our personal and professional partners. Contractual agreements and arrangements could be subject to revision or broken off, and relationships from the past could resurface during this time. With Venus in Scorpio during Mercury retrograde, any secrets kept from another partner are more likely to reach the surface.
- Stockmarket: As referenced in last week’s Stockmarket Summary, the panic of 1907 morphed into the panic of 2008. The September 15 Harvest Moon conjoining Uranus challenging Pluto, did indeed take the market from panic to euphoria in a seesaw action. Lehman Brothers (LEH) filed for bankruptcy, AIG got an $85 billion line from the Federal Reserve to keep it out of bankruptcy, and the SEC went from lax enforcement of their own rules to going to the extreme on short selling once the shorts went after Goldman Sachs (GS). Representative of the energies of Saturn in Virgo, Treasury Secretary Paulson began invoking provisions in historic governmental (Saturn) regulations (Virgo) such as the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 to guarantee unlimited amounts of cash held in certain types of money market funds for one year, yet the government refuses to insure money held in FDIC-insured banks for over $100,000. By Friday, Treasury Secretary Paulson was ready to buy up all of Wall Street’s private and unregulated toxic waste (Pluto). When all the wild action was over, the DJIA had dropped 33.55 points for the week, while the NASDAQ gained 12.63 and the S&P500 gained 3.38 points. See my related posts, “AIG, Lehman, and Merrill under a Harvest Moon: Parallels to the Panic of 1907” and “After AIG, Paulson’s Moral Hazard Ends at the Golden Door.”
The draft Proposal of Paulson’s plan to purchase mortgage-related assets aligns with the Bush Doctrine of pre-emptiveness; the plan could have been written by Hugo Chavez or Vladimir Putin. I think the interpretation of the plan on ClickBroker’s blog sums it up best.
With the Sun and Mercury in Mars-ruled Aries, Paulson is trying to get Congress to agree to his plan as quickly as possible. This is also reflected by the second alignment of Mercury conjoining Mars in Libra Tuesday. This alignment was present at the time Paulson announced the government’s conservatorship of Fannie Mae (FNM) and Freddie Mac (FRE). With Mercury turning retrograde lined up with Mars, agreements made in haste are likely to need a lot of revision or even fall apart. However, other energies around this time that I will be writing about reflect that a government intervention of Jupiter-sized proportions is on the way.
Markets and Congress this week will be focused on Paulson’s proposal. Fed Chairman Bernanke will be testifying along with Paulson, GSE Conservator Lockhart, and SEC Chairman Cox Tuesday and Wednesday at 10:00 AM, Wednesday at 2:30 PM, and Thursday at Noon.
Most of the week looks to have a positive bias, but the Mercury retrograde period (September 24 to October 15) tends to create choppy and unpredictable trading patterns. Since Mercury will turn retrograde conjoining natal Jupiter in the chart for the original founding of the NYSE, moves are likely to be probably big (in either direction).
Monday, September 22, 2008
- General Influences: The Last Quarter Moon occurs at 1:04 AM and then is VOC* until entering Cancer at 1:49 AM. The Sun enters Libra at 11:45 AM until October 22. There’s a greater emphasis on socializing and relationships. Venus and Pluto energies can foster deep caring and understanding. With the Moon in Cancer opposing Jupiter, a midnight snack might be difficult to resist unless you go to sleep early tonight.
- Stockmarket: Up, but could start weakening in afternoon. Venus and Pluto last hooked up on December 3, 2007 when Paulson’s plan to create a “Super SIV” was not well-received by Wall St.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
- General Influences: Rise and shine quickly as Mercury conjoins Mars in Libra! Be ready to “think on your feet” today. Put down the phone and the other distractions to watch where you’re going. And take a moment to breathe J (Mercury previously conjoined Mars on September 8.) Shakeup the lunch break routine today by eating or doing something different. It might be difficult to reach agreement with another this afternoon with the Moon challenging Mercury and Mars. People can get easily irritated now. Cancer Moon becomes VOC at 5:17 PM. Venus enters Scorpio late this evening until October 18. Desires and emotions can get passionately intense now. Be honest and upfront in a romantic relationship instead of keeping something secret.
- Stockmarket: Up, strongest through early afternoon.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
- General Influences: The day begins with Mercury in Libra turning retrograde. The Moon enters Leo at 5:13 AM. Any feeling of being off balance early this morning quickly gives way to a more sunny and relaxed outlook. The Moon in Leo today and tomorrow offers a midweek break from the recent turmoil. Squeezing even a little bit of time in for fun stuff and recreational activities will be rejuvenating.
- Stockmarket: Positive trend bias.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
- General Influences: A misunderstanding with a loved one could arise this evening, and if so, now is the time to talk things out to resolve it. It’s when we’re not giving our full attention to what information we’re receiving that confusion and difficulties are more likely to occur, especially now with Mercury retrograde.
- Stockmarket: Choppy/mixed to moderately up.
Friday, September 26, 2008
- General Influences: Leo Moon becomes VOC at 7:20 AM; Virgo Moon takes over all the details at 9:52 AM. The morning energies are the best time to accomplish your most important tasks. Since Virgo is ruled by Mercury, it’s especially important to pay attention to details, reconfirm appointments, backup computer files, charge electronic devices, and make sure you’re stocked with all the essentials. Getting work finished earlier in the day could help get a jumpstart on TGIF and the weekend as the Moon and Venus (the planetary ruler of Fridays) favorably connect in midafternoon.
- Stockmarket: Choppy/mixed. Could see late session upswing.
Weekend: September 27-28, 2008
- Saturday: The Virgo Moon harmonizing with Jupiter this morning has an ambitious agenda planned today. We’re in the mood to get some serious work done with the Moon conjoining Saturn. Take care traveling this evening and reconfirm reservations as the Moon opposing Uranus can create disruptions in travel, and unexpected events in general.
- Sunday: Mercury harmonizes with Neptune for the second time (first was September 19; and again October 30, 2008). Share your thoughts with friends and loved ones who share your vision. Reading inspirational literature or your favorite leisure reading is uplifting and healthier than reading about political barbs or what got blown up in the Sunday paper. Chill out any need to control or criticize another around midday. Virgo Moon becomes VOC at 1:30 PM. Libra Moon arrives at 4:05 PM, bringing in the love and need to be with someone special.
*VOC (Void-of-Course) = When the Moon (our emotional barometer) does not form any relationship to a planet before entering a new zodiacal sign. This time period is best suited for anything where NO ACTION OR SPECIFIC OUTCOME is desired, as actions taken during the VOC period might not turn out as planned.