Mars transits Cancer about every two years. However, this transit of Mars is much longer due to the planet moving retrograde* (November 15, 2007 – January 30, 2008).
Action/attention focuses on physical and emotional security, real estate, land and environment, family and heritage, childhood, retirement/end of life issues.
Food & Shelter:
- Cancer rules the land, real estate, and everything to do with the home.
Along with the transit of Saturn in Virgo**, food and shelter costs escalate while home values fall.
- Cases of contaminated/spoiled food will rise.
- Homes damaged/destroyed by fire. Damage from kitchen, heater, holiday decoration fires. Water damage through sprinkler systems and appliances. Vandalism rises.
- Forced evacuation from home (such as California fires), or from foreclosure. (Renters are also getting evicted due to banks foreclosing on property owners.)
- Mars dries up water. (Georgia’s governor declared a water emergency October 20 from severe drought. The governor asked President Bush to ease regulations requiring Georgia to send water downstream to Alabama and Florida.)
- Water supplies are more prone to contamination and utilities issuing boil water alerts. (The first day Mars was in Cancer, Palm Beach & West Palm Beach Florida was under a boil water alert for several days.)
- Distilled (water boiled, evaporated and condensed) becomes more popular than spring water.
- Cancer rules food/liquids. Parts of the body: breasts and stomach. Mars here can cause digestive upsets from eating too quickly and on the run, as well as eating fast/fried/burnt food. Drink lots of water and only eat when calm and relaxed.
- Mars rules accidents. Accidents are more likely to occur in the home or involving water (drowning, boating accidents).
Security: More border control as Cancer is about “protecting our turf”. Disputes and battles over borders.
Family: Families will devote extra energy to being in contact and getting together. For some, “family feud” would be an apt description now.
* Planets don’t really move backwards, but appear to from Earth’s vantage point.
** See “Time to Clean Up: Saturn in Virgo” (8/28/07) in the Predictions section.